Bee Wise Farms’ Heroes to Hives 2023 Workshops
These are FREE Workshops offered to military veterans and their dependents by Heroes to Hives program through Michigan Food and Farming Systems. More info at www.heroestohives.org.
EVENT REGISTRATION: You do not need to register for these events. Just show up at the farm on the date and time of the event.
Bee Wise Farms’ Site Expectations
- You must bring your own veil and gloves to each session. No outside smokers or hive tools will be allowed at BWF.
- Participants are required to wear veils/protective clothing while in the apiary, and dress appropriately for working outdoors with bees.
- No one under 18 is allowed at our on-ground trainings.
- Please let the instructors know of any movement/lifting restrictions, and work slowly and in pairs to prevent injury.
- Please discuss the risks of beekeeping with your physician, and decide with them if you should get an epipen, or undergo testing for potential allergies.
- You do not need any experience working bees to take part in this program.
- You do not need to own bees to participate in the program (I prefer you don’t have bees this year if you have never kept bees before).
- There is no smoking allowed at BWF (besides the smoker for your bees, of course).
- Colonies in the teaching apiaries are not to be opened until after a smoker is lit. During class times, colonies will not be opened without instructor permission.
- Be respectful. Make sure that you help maintain a supportive and productive learning environment. Offensive behavior and/or language towards others will not be tolerated.
- Although you will be taught proper hive handling skills, getting stung is part of beekeeping. If this is not okay with you then you may want to rethink beekeeping.
- Workshops are not recorded. We do not film workshops as it is a distraction to attendees and instructors.
SPECIAL NOTE: ALL ON-GROUND WORKSHOP DATES MAY CHANGE DUE TO WEATHER. ALL SCHEDULE CHANGES WILL BE POSTED ON THIS PAGE, THE HEROES TO HIVES FB PAGE, AND BEE WISE FARMS FB AND INSTAGRAM PAGES.
IF CHANGES OCCUR THEY WILL BE POSTED AT LEAST 48 HOURS BEFORE EACH SESSION.
On-ground Workshops: All BWF H2H Workshops are listed below will be in the field working live bee hives and conducting seasonally appropriate management.
Please note that all H2H students can also join our Great Plains Master Beekeeping program Open Apiary Hours which take place on the same dates below but from 2pm - 4pm, which means you can train with us for up to 4 hours on each of the dates below. More info on our GPMB Open Apiary Hours can be found here: 2023 GPMB Open Apiary Hours
May 27, 11am - 1pm
- H2H Spring Splits Workshop at Bee Wise Farms: Learn how to do spring splits on overwintered colonies to produce new hives and nucs.
- H2H Inspections and Varroa Monitoring Workshop at Bee Wise Farms: Learn how to conduct monthly colony inspections and monitoring for varroa using the alcohol wash and powdered sugar roll.
July 29, 11am - 1pm
- H2H Mid Season Management and Honey Harvesting Workshop at Bee Wise Farms: Learn seasonal management to prevent swarming and see how to harvest honey at a small-scale.
August 26, 11am - 1pm
- H2H Preparing Colonies for Winter Workshop at Bee Wise Farms: Successful overwintering in Northern climates start is August. In this workshop we will cover how to start preparing your colonies for successful overwintering.
September 23, 11am - 1pm
- H2H Overwintering in Northern Climates at Bee Wise Farms: Overwintering can be intimidating process. At this workshop we will show you how to set your hives up with winter equipment exactly as we do. This system has been taught by Dr. Adam over the last 10 years and results in averages of winter losses of less than 10 percent for most.